World Antibiotic Awareness Week (WAAW) is held each November to increase awareness of antibiotic resistance.
Key Messages for Antibiotic Awareness Week 2019
- Antibiotics are a precious resource that could be lost.
- Antibiotic resistance is happening now – it is a worldwide problem that affects human and animal health.
- Antibiotic resistance happens when bacteria stops an antibiotic from working effectively – meaning some infections may be impossible to treat.
- Few new antibiotics are being developed to help solve this problem.
- Misuse of antibiotics contributes to antibiotic resistance.
- Whenever antibiotics must be used, they must be used with care.
“Since their discovery, antibiotics have served as the cornerstone of modern medicine. However, the persistent overuse and misuse of antibiotics in human and animal health have encouraged the emergence and spread of antibiotic resistance, which occurs when microbes, such as bacteria, become resistant to the drugs used to treat them.” – https://www.who.int/news-room/events/detail/2019/11/18/default-calendar/world-antibiotic-awareness-week-2019